Township in Cartmel parish, Lonsdale hundred, Lancashire North of the Sands, including village of Allithwaite and eastern part of Cartmel village (formerly ‘Churchtown’). Part of Lower Allithwaite transferred to help create Grange CP (q.v.) 1894 and further land transferred to Grange 1914. CP enlarged by absorbing Upper Holker CP 1949.
3,211 acres [1,299 ha] before boundary changes; reduced to 2,962 acres [1,198 ha] after loss of territory to Grange CP. Common land in Lower Allithwaite enclosed under Cartmel enclosure award 1809.
increasing from 589 in 1801 to peak at 1,009 in 1871; stood at 974 in 1891 (last census year before boundary changes). Population of enlarged CP stood at 1,758 in 2001.
manor of Cartmel (which extended across whole of ancient parish) granted to Cartmel Priory on its foundation 1189; passing to Crown on Dissolution and in 1667 to George Preston of Holker; subsequently by marriage to Lowther family and then Cavendish family also by marriage. Manor of Allithwaite was in hands of Harrington family from c.1200 to at least 1375. Part of estate, known as Wraysholme (centred on 15th-century tower house), granted to George Lord Strange 1489, passing through earls of Derby to 1594, when sold to Dicconson family.
farming and fishing; limestone quarrying and lime-burning. Corn mill at Allithwaite converted to brewery in 19th century. Tourism increasingly important, particularly at Cartmel, in 20th century. Nursing homes (including Boarbank Hall since 1921).
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Mary and St Michael, the former Augustinian priory at Cartmel Churchtown, founded c.1189. St Mary’s Church, Allithwaite, built at Templand 1865. Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Cartmel built 1871-2. Quaker meeting house there built 1859. United Reformed Church at Allithwaite from 1919; closed 2002. Kingdom hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses, Allithwaite, 1985-2009. Roman Catholic house of Augustinian nuns at Boarbank Hall from 1921.
Schools and other institutions:
Cartmel Grammar School originated when parish purchased priory gatehouse 1624 for use as school; further endowment 1689; moved to new site in Upper Holker (q.v.) 1790. CE Primary School at Cartmel, established 1861. Cartmel Priory Secondary School opened 1958 on new site to south of village. Allithwaite Institute built as a ‘chapel school’ 1853; replaced by new school by St Mary’s church, built 1865; now Allithwaite CE Primary School. Allithwaite Institute continued to be used as community hall; another village hall (Mary Lambert Hall) built near St Mary’s church 1908 and another beside Quarry Lane playing fields, built 1982. Cartmel Institute, in substantial 18th-century house in village, founded 1865.