Township in Morland parish, West ward, Westmorland.
1,754 acres [710 ha]; common land on Morland Moor (413 acres [167 ha]) enclosed 1800.
273 in 1801, rising to 426 in 1841, then gradually falling to 380 in 2001.
manor of Morland held of barony of Kendal. Part granted to Wetheral Priory 12th century, passing to Dean and Chapter of Carlisle at Dissolution. Remainder held by Windsor family 12th to 14th centuries; in late 16th century passed from Robert Bowes to Musgrave, Southaik and Backhouse families successively.
farming. Quarrying and lime-burning in 19th century. Market and fair granted by charter 1362 but did not survive. Two linen mills in early 19th century, making coarse linen goods and tapes, threads and ‘small wares’. Clothing company (Travelling Light) based in Morland 1980 to 2008.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Lawrence (tower possibly pre-Conquest); chancel rebuilt 1600; north aisle rebuilt 18th century; major restoration 1896. Quaker meeting house built 1805; closed 1903. Wesleyan Methodist chapel built 1819; closed and converted to dwelling.
Schools and other institutions:
school in south transept of church founded 1653. Schoolhouse built c.1780; replaced by new building south-west of village 1875; in turn replaced by modern building nearby 1974; now Morland Area CE Primary School. Reading room and library established 1849. Morland Hall used as Red Cross hospital during Second World War. Village hall built 1949.