Chapelry in Ulverston parish, Lonsdale hundred, Lancashire North of the Sands.
2,261 acres [915 ha], including Lowick Common (305 acres [123 ha]). Settled area divided between hamlets of Lower Lowick (544 acres [220 ha]) and Upper Lowick (1,412 acres [571 ha]).
rising from 278 in 1801 to 468 in 1861, then falling back to 279 in 1901 and declining to 224 in 2001.
granted to Robert Towers in 12th century and descended in Towers family until 15th century when Isabel daughter of William Towers married John Ambrose. Descended in Ambrose family until 1684 when bequeathed to John Latus from whom it descended via Blencowe, Everard and Gaskarth families to Montagu family who held it in later 19th century.
farming; small-scale slate quarrying; basket-making in 19th century (continued into 20th). Tanyards at Moss and Lowick Green mid-19th century, latter becoming Lowick Tannery which continued into 20th century. Spade forge at Lowick Green built 1776; closed 1906, then used as saw mill and basket workshop.
Places of worship:
chapel of ease recorded 1292; rebuilt 1817; replaced by St Luke’s Church, built on same site 1885.
Schools and other institutions:
school taught by curate from 1696. Parish school near church replaced by Lowick School built on edge of common 1857; closed 2004; now outdoor activities centre. Old school by church now Lowick Community Hall.