Isel Old Park
Township in Isel parish, Allerdale below Derwent ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Blindcrake CP 1934.
1,844 acres [746 ha]. Isel Common, covering northern part of township, enclosed 1813.
rose from 88 in 1801 to a peak of 108 in 1831; then declined erratically to stand at 68 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available).
part of manor of Isel (see Blindcrake, Isel and Redmain).
largely agricultural; salmon and trout fishery at Isel bridge in 17th century; managed timber production in park woods by Sir Wilfrid Lawson in 17th century; some modern afforestation.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Michael, Isel, (restored 1878) stands within township.
Schools and other institutions: