Ancient parish in Allerdale above Derwent ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Waberthwaite CP 1934.
4,440 acres [1,797 ha], including detached portion of 81 acres [33 ha] at Grange, in Waberthwaite, and 1,342 acres [543 ha] of unenclosed common on Corney Fell. Corney Moor enclosed 1818.
estimated at 480 in 1688; rising from 222 in 1801 to a peak of 292 in 1831, then declining steadily to 185 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available).
manor of Corney thought to have passed by marriage from de Corney family to Penningtons of Muncaster in 13th century; they continued to hold manor of Corney and Middleton Place in 20th century.
predominantly agricultural; noted for its cattle in mid-19th century. Sporadic small-scale iron mining recorded in mid-19th century.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St John the Baptist; vestry added 1847; restored 1882. Nunnery of Seaton or ‘Lekeley’ (on boundary with Bootle parish) founded late 12th century by lord of Millom; remained a very small, poor house.
Schools and other institutions: