Ancient parish in West ward, Westmorland.
1,782 acres [721 ha], including c.125 acres [50 ha] of common land, enclosed 1816. Population: rising gradually from 219 in 1801 to 461 in 2001.
manor of Clifton given by Sir Hugh de Morville to Gilbert Engaine in reign of Henry II; carried by marriage of Eleanor daughter of Gilbert Engaine to William de Wybergh of St Bees 1365; descended in Wybergh family until c.1920.
Wetheriggs brick and tile works near Clifton Dykes established 1760; pottery production started 1855; closed as pottery c.2008. Freestone and limestone quarries. Clifton Hill racing stables built 1912. Sawmills established 1963; acquired by A.W. Jenkinson Forest Products 1994.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Cuthbert; restored and chancel rebuilt 1849. Methodist chapel built 1885; sold 1986 and converted to dwelling.
Schools and other institutions:
schoolmaster funded by Mary Scott’s legacy 1764; school housed in building at Town End. New school erected 1874; restored and enlarged 1901; modern building of Clifton Primary School adjacent. Reading room, now village hall.