CP in Bridekirk parish, Allerdale below Derwent Ward, Cumberland, created 1898 from bulk of townships of Great and Little Broughton. Broughton Moor CP created at same date, covering mining settlement on former moorland. This entry covers both CPs.
Great Broughton township: 2,073 acres [839 ha]; Little Broughton township: 1,026 acres [415 ha]. After separation of Broughton Moor CP (1,736 acres [703 ha]), Broughton CP contained 1,360 acres [550 ha]. Common field at Little Broughton enclosed 1702. Common land on Broughton Moor (1,070 acres [433 ha]) enclosed 1829.
rising from 650 in 1811 to 2,267 in 1891 (last census year before Broughton Moor was separated). In 1901 Great and Little Broughton had a population of 1,334, which rose to 1,727 by 2001. Broughton Moor’s population stood at 920 in 1901 and remained fairly stable until 1971, declining thereafter to 726 by 2001.
in hands of Percy family, earls of Northumberland and barons of Allerdale, by 15th century. Granted to Sir Thomas Wharton 1530; bought back by Charles, duke of Somerset, from trustees of duke of Wharton 1739, descending thereafter with rest of Cockermouth Castle estate (see Cockermouth).
noted for weaving and bleaching of linen cloth in later 17th century (‘the finest, whitest and firmest cloath in the north of England’, according to Thomas Denton). Limestone quarrying and lime-burning at Broughton Craggs from 17th century. Coalmining recorded from 1437; colliery at Broughton Craggs by later 17th century; expansion of mining in 19th century, especially on Broughton Moor from 1860s (Buckhill colliery opened 1873; closed 1932); extensive opencast coal working late 20th century. Brick and tile manufacture on Broughton Moor in 19th and early 20th centuries. Royal Navy Armaments Depot (‘the Dump’), covering 1,050 acres [425 ha], from 1938 to 1992.
Places of worship:
chapel of St Lawrence, by River Derwent close to boundary with Ribton, in use mid-17th century but disused by 1688. Anglican chapel of ease (Christchurch) built between the two villages 1856. Anglican church of St Columba at Broughton Moor, built 1905. Broughton noted for Puritan nonconformity in 17th century: Baptist Chapel built 1672; still in use. Quaker meeting house at Little Broughton built 1687; replaced by new building 1742; closed 1982. Wesleyan Methodist chapels at Great Broughton (built 1846; now village hall) and Broughton Moor (built 1903; still in use). Primitive Methodist chapels at Great Broughton (rebuilt and enlarged c.1880; closed and sold 2015) and Broughton Moor (built 1861; closed 1969 and converted to dwelling).
Schools and other institutions:
almshouse and schoolhouse built and endowed by Joseph Ashley 1735. School rebuilt 1846; now Broughton Primary School. School at Broughton Moor built 1878; now Broughton Moor Primary School. Mission Hall, built 1882. Thomas Paisley Memorial Hall, containing billiard and reading rooms and library, built 1890; derelict by 2013. Village hall at Little Broughton.