Township in Kendal parish, Kendal ward, Westmorland. CP enlarged by absorbing Patton CP 1986.
4,346 acres [1,759 ha]. Commons enclosed 1842.
rising from 184 in 1801 to peak of 214 in 1831, then declining to 167 in 1891 and falling to low of 96 in 1951.
divided from early period: land granted to Gervase Deincourt late 12th century descended to Stricklands of Sizergh who continued to hold manor (or part of it) in later 16th century. Matthew de Redman held half manor of Whinfell 1283, which descended through Redman family to early 17th century; in 1627 it was held of heirs of Richard Redman by William Thornburgh.
predominantly agricultural; fishery at Whinfell tarn, with eel trap (‘eel ark’) at outflow.
Places of worship:
Primitive Methodist chapel, adjacent to former school, built 1903; closed 1970s and converted to dwelling.
Schools and other institutions:
school near Whinfell Tarn in mid-19th century.