Township in Kirkby Stephen parish, East ward, Westmorland.
1,501 acres [607 ha], of which almost half remains unenclosed common land on Wharton Fell (715 acres [289 ha]).
village cleared when Wharton park enclosed c.1547 (tenants resettled at Wharton Dikes). Population in range 70-80 in early 19th century; then downward drift to stand at 31 by 2001 (apart from temporary surge to 100 in 1871 during railway construction).
held by Wharton family from late 13th century; sold to Robert Lowther 1728 after attainder of Philip, 1st duke of Wharton, subsequently descending to earls of Lonsdale.
predominantly agricultural; small-scale quarrying and lime-burning in 19th century.
Places of worship:
Schools and other institutions: