Ancient parish in Allerdale above Derwent ward, Cumberland. CP enlarged by absorbing Corney CP 1934.
1,771 acres [717 ha], including 638 acres [258 ha] of unenclosed common on Waberthwaite Fell. Waberthwaite Wood stinted pasture (267 acres [108 ha]) enclosed 1806.
estimated at 375 in 1688; in range 100-150 across earlier 19th century, rising to around 200 later in century; peak of 279 in 1921. Modern CP (which includes Corney) had 338 inhabitants in 1951, falling to 274 in 2001.
manor of Waberthwaite held by the Waberthwaite family between the 12th and 14th centuries; the de Kirkbys held it from 1391 until 1607 when it was acquired by Penningtons of Muncaster, who remained lords of manor to 20th century.
predominantly agricultural; bacon curing and sausage making since late 19th century.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St John, of pre-Conquest origin, to judge by surviving Viking age cross.
Schools and other institutions:
school recorded 1818; old schoolhouse replaced by new building on different site 1938, later extended; now Waberthwaite CE Primary School. Institute and reading room built 1911; now Waberthwaite, Corney & District village hall .