Ancient parish in Allerdale below Derwent ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Ireby (now Ireby and Uldale) CP 1934
5,814 acres [2,353 ha], including 3,413 acres [1,381 ha] of unenclosed common land on Uldale Fells.
estimated at 520 in 1688. Rose from 234 in 1801 to 388 in 1851; then fell back to 217 by 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available).
manor of Uldale said to have been granted by Waldeof, lord of Allerdale, to Adam son of Lyulph, from whose family it passed by marriage to the Bunkle (‘Bonekill’) family of Berwickshire by 13th century. In Crown hands by 1318; soon after granted to Anthony de Lucy, baron of Allerdale, and descended with barony to Percy family, earls of Northumberland. After being conveyed to Crown, it was granted 1543 to Thomas Dalston, in whose family it remained until sold to Thomas Gaff in later 18th century. Purchased by earl of Egremont 1808, thus reuniting it with Allerdale barony.
predominantly agricultural: described by Thomas Denton 1688 as rich farming country with corn and cattle on lower grounds and sheep on fells. Small seam of coal; some veins of copper exploited in 1780s. Limestone quarrying and lime-burning on Aughertree Fell in 19th century.
Places of worship:
old parish church of St James (a mile north of village), medieval in origin; windows date from 1730; chancel rebuilt 1837. New church of St John the Evangelist built in village 1869; demolished 1963.
Schools and other institutions:
grammar school endowed by Matthew Caldbeck 1726; rebuilt 1895; closed c.1990 (converted to tea room and gallery).