Township in Stapleton parish, Eskdale ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Solport CP 1934.
2,338 acres [946 ha], including commons at Mallshill (225 acres [91 ha]) and Wakey Hill (340 acres [138 ha]), enclosed 1817 and 1845 respectively.
peaked at 169 in 1831; then declined to c.100 by end of 19th century, falling to 74 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available).
part of Solport manor but divided into small estates by 19th century.
farming; small-scale coal mining at Hagg Beck recorded 1847; afforestation, mid 20th century.
Places of worship:
Schools and other institutions:
school at Russelgate with date stone reading ‘Trough School 1838’; closed.