Township in Isel parish, Allerdale below Derwent ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Blindcrake CP 1934.
806 acres [326 ha]. Sunderland Common enclosed, with other commons in manor of Isel, 1813.
fluctuated in range 55-80 across 19th and early 20th century (peak of 99 in 1851); stood at 60 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available). Landownership: part of manor of Isel (see Blindcrake, Isel and Redmain).
predominantly agricultural; limestone quarrying, lime-burning and drainage tile-making in 19th century.
Places of worship:
early Quaker meetings held in open on Setrah Hill from 1653 to 1673, when moved into local houses. Wesleyan Methodist chapel built 1862; closed 1930s (now dwelling house). Mission hall established by 1920s.
Schools and other institutions: