Township in Kendal parish, Kendal ward, Westmorland. CP merged with Nether Staveley and Hugill CPs 2004.
2,580 acres [1,044 ha]. Commons (1,228 acres [497 ha]) enclosed 1854.
rising across 19th century from 324 in 1801 to 736 by 1881; temporarily inflated to 885 in 1891 by influx of workmen constructing Thirlmere aqueduct; declined across 20th century from 702 in 1901 to 516 in 2001.
part of Marquis fee of barony of Kendal. Divided at early date into ‘Staveley Godmund’ (William Godmund granted Staveley late 12th century) and ‘Staveley Gamel’. Godmund family continued to hold land there in 16th century. Moiety of manor of Staveley held by John Hotham by 1413; descended in Hotham family until sold to Bellinghams 1569, descending thereafter with Levens (q.v.).
market charter granted 1335; market did not survive; livestock fairs held in 19th century. Water-powered mills on River Kent: fulling mill recorded 1274; sickle mill recorded 1689; cotton mill in 1784. By mid-19th century three mill sites: Scroggs Mill (fulling mill by 1689; sickle mill in 18th century; converted to bobbin manufacture early 19th century; bone mill 1885; turning pick and hammer shafts 1897; disused by 1912); Old Mill, later Kentmere Mills (cotton mill built 1784; closed 1810 and became woollen mill; now packaging manufacture) and Low Mill or Chadwick’s Mill (bobbin manufacture; wood turning for tool handles from mid-20th century; closed 1990s). Further mills nearby in Hugill (q.v.). Business park developed on site of Chadwick’s Mill 1993.
Places of worship:
chapel of ease of St Margaret endowed 1338; gained parochial status 1587; only tower survives. New church of St James built adjacent to school 1865. Primitive Methodist chapel, School Lane, built 1834; replaced by new chapel on Main Street 1866; closed 1939. Wesleyan Methodist chapel built 1836; rebuilt on Kentmere Road 1876; closed 1994.
Schools and other institutions:
school in chapel by 1530s. Endowment for school 1696 but school still taught in chapel 1717, as no schoolhouse had been built. School built by subscription before 1779; rebuilt 1841 and again 1859; now Staveley CE Primary School. Working Men’s Institute and reading room built 1874; new village hall and institute built 1936.