Township in Kirkoswald parish, Leath ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Kirkoswald CP 1934.
5,636 acres [2,281 ha]; including 3,206 acres [1,320 ha] of commons enclosed 1816.
rising from 276 in 1801 to 309 1811 and 1821; then declining to 193 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available).
manor of Staffield held by Thomas de Moulton of Gilsland by c.1300, passing to Dacres and descending with manor of Kirkoswald (q.v.). Reputed manor of Staffield: properties purchased from Alanby family by Sir Richard Fletcher of Hutton c.1607 claimed 1702 to be one-third of manor; courts held by Fletchers (later Fletcher-Vanes) with whom it descended to 19th century.
predominantly agricultural. Small-scale freestone quarrying; lime-burning at Clints Quarries; coal mines at Burned Edge and elsewhere on Scarrowmanwick Fell, mid-19th century.
Places of worship:
Schools and other institutions: