Extra-parochial fell pasture, which formed separate CP until absorbed into Underskiddaw CP 1934.
2,969 acres [1,202 ha], almost entirely open fell.
probably uninhabited until Skiddaw House was built c.1829 as keeper’s lodge and shepherd’s house (inhabited until 1969): 7 to 10 inhabitants in later 19th century
demesne land of Fortibus share of honour of Cockermouth in 13th century. After reunification of two halves of honour 1323, it descended with honour of Cockermouth (q.v.).
demesne cattle pasture in 13th century; fell grazing thereafter. Grouse shooting in 19th century. Hostel for walkers (Skiddaw House) since 1980s