Township in Heversham parish, Kendal ward, Westmorland.
495 acres [200 ha].
rising from 161 in 1801 to 247 by 1851, then dropping to 194 in 1861 as result of relocation of gunpowder works; rose again to 291 in 1901, then fell back to low of 152 in 1951 before housing development led to increase to 380 by 2001.
held with Sizergh (of which manor it was often termed a ’hamlet’) from 13th century (see Helsington). Wakefield family, bankers and gunpowder manufacturers, acquired large landholding through purchases in 19th century, building Sedgwick House c.1810 (rebuilt 1868-9).
largely agricultural until establishment of gunpowder works (‘Old Sedgwick’ works) by John Wakefield 1764; closed 1854 when relocated to 'New Sedgwick’ works on other side of River Kent (see Helsington). New incorporating mill for gunpowder established at Basinghyll 1790; closed 1936. Small-scale quarrying of limestone ‘marble’ 18th and 19th centuries.
Places of worship:
Schools and other institutions:
school for girls near Sedgwick House from c.1820; replaced by new school in village c.1870; closed c.1906 when pupils transferred to Crosscrake school. Village hall/club room built by Wakefield family c. 1870; rebuilt 1889; still in use. Reading room established by 1868.