Township in Camerton parish, Allerdale below Derwent ward, Cumberland. Siddick and industrial area on coast transferred to Workington MB 1899.
2,626 acres [1,063 ha] before boundary change. Seaton common and townfield enclosed 1826.
rising from 562 in 1801 to 835 in 1851; then growing rapidly to stand at 3,229 in 1891, last census year before boundary change, which resulted in 1,884 inhabitants being transferred to Workington. Population of remaining area of Seaton grew again after Second World War, rising from 2,649 in 1951 to 4,861 in 2001.
Gospatric son of Orm, ancestor of Curwens, said to have had his seat at Seaton (supposedly on site of Roman fort at Burrow Walls) in mid-12th century, before moving it across River Derwent to Workington. Manor of Seaton descended with Workington thereafter.
market charter granted 1280; salmon fishery in River Derwent from medieval period (memory preserved in name Salmon Hall). Rabbit warren (and race course) on coastal common land in 17th century. Coal mining: Seaton colliery (pits at St Helens and Moorhouse Guards in north of township and at Seaton Banks in south) recorded by 1673, expanding during 1720s and 1730s; waggonway (first railway in Cumberland) from colliery to Workington harbour, completed 1732. Mining expanded in 19th century and continued, exploiting undersea seams, well into 20th: mining at Moorhouse Guards ended 1945; Siddick pit remained open until 1966. Iron making: Seaton ironworks, charcoal-powered blast furnace, built at Barepot 1762; closed 1857. Major blast furnaces built by Workington Haematite Ironworks 1856. Associated industries included coke-making (24 coke ovens built at St Helens Colliery 1894) and fireclay brick-making, with brick and tile works of Seaton Fire Brick Co. at Moor House Guards from 1840. 20th-century industrial development: textile mill on former iron works site, built 1937; paper and board manufacture (Thames Board Mill established 1966); chemicals (Ectona Fibres, established 1968); construction industry (Thomas Armstrong, from 1986); retail park (Dunmail Park) on site of textile mill opened 1988; wind farm along coast, built 1996.
Places of worship:
possible early chapel site preserved in name St Helens in north of township. Schoolroom licensed for services 1852; Anglican church of St Paul built 1881-3. Holy Trinity church, Northside (otherwise West Seaton), built 1893. Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Low Seaton in later 19th century.
Schools and other institutions:
parochial school, Low Seaton, by 1850s. National school, High Seaton; replaced by Seaton CE Primary school on new site; old building became Seaton Infant School (now Seaton Academy). Primary school, Northside (West Seaton) since 1878. Siddick School built 1902; closed 1967. Reading and recreation room at Seaton, built late 19th century. Good Templars’ Hall built 1884.