Township in St Bees parish, Allerdale above Derwent ward, Cumberland. CP enlarged by addition of parts of Preston Quarter and Sandwith CPs 1934. Absorbed into St Bees CP 1973.
643 acres [260 ha], before boundary changes.
fluctuating in range 45-70 across 19th and early 20th centuries (peak of 78 in 1901); stood at 60 in 1931 (last census year before boundary changes).
manor of Rottington passed by marriage from Rottington family to Sandes family 1421; sold to Curwens of Workington 1579. Henry Curwen (d. 1725) devised it to his cousin Sir Michael Warton (d. 1725), on whose death it passed to Charles Pelham (d. 1763), who sold it to Sir James Lowther 1762.
predominantly agricultural; small-scale sandstone quarrying in late 19th century.
Places of worship:
Schools and other institutions: