Township in Bridekirk parish, Allerdale below Derwent ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Camerton CP 1934.
616 acres [249 ha], including former common land on Ribton Moor (date of enclosure not known).
declining from c.50 in early 19th century to under 25 by 1851; stood at just 17 in 1931, last year for which separate census figures available.
manor of Ribton held by Ribton family by 1308; sold by William Ribton to Christopher Curwen and others 1597; bought by Thomas Lamplugh before 1636; descended through Lamplugh family (who built Ribton Hall – now demolished – c.1680) until sold to Lowthers 1722.
agriculture; salmon fishery in River Derwent, recorded 1688. Royal Navy Armaments Depot covered much of township in mid-20th century (see Broughton).
Places of worship:
Schools and other institutions: