Township in Kendal parish, Kendal ward, Westmorland. Absorbed into Whinfell CP 1986.
637 acres [258 ha].
rising from 77 in 1801 to peak of 98 in 1871; falling back to 60 in 1981 (last census year for which separate figure available).
part of Patton granted to Conishead Priory in 13th century. Half of hamlet of Patton held by Thornburgh family by mid-15th century; they leased Conishead’s land there in early 16th century and acquired it after Dissolution. Descended through Thornburgh family until sold to the tenants 1723. Economy: predominantly agricultural; small-scale quarrying.
Places of worship:
Schools and other institutions: