Patterdale with Hartsop
Chapelry and township in Barton parish, West ward, Westmorland, including village of Glenridding.
16,735 acres [6,775 ha], including extensive fell commons. Open field (Overdale common field; 56 acres [23 ha]) enclosed 1861. Hartsop High and Low Pastures (1,988 acres [805 ha]) enclosed 1865.
261 in 1801, rising to 961 in 1921, then falling to 460 in 2001.
manor of Patterdale held by Threlkeld family in early 17th century when Thomas Threlkeld sold it to Joan, widow of George Mounsey (d. 1624); descended through Mounsey family (known as ‘kings of Patterdale’) until sold to John Marshall, mill-owner of Leeds, 1825, who rebuilt Patterdale Hall 1845-50. Remained in Marshall family until sold 1937. Hartsop was held by Lancaster family from 13th to 17th century, passing by marriage of Frances, daughter of Christopher Lancaster to Sir Christopher Lowther, subsequently descending to earls of Lonsdale.
hill farming. Lead mining by later 17th century: major expansion at Greenside lead mine, Glenridding, from c.1830, employing 300 people in 1849; smelter built 1834; mine closed 1961. Smaller lead mines in Hartsop, worked sporadically until 1940s. Small ancient copper mine at Hartsop. Slate quarrying at Hartsop and Place Fell in 19th century. Tourism from 19th century: boarding houses and 4 hotels by 1906; steamers on Ullswater; outdoor pursuits with centres at Glenridding from later 20th century.
Places of worship:
chapel of ease of St Patrick recorded 1348; rebuilt 1852-3. Chapel shared by Methodists and Quakers built 1842. Methodists split off and built new chapel at Glenridding 1890; closed early 1990s. Quakers retained old chapel which closed 1965.
Schools and other institutions:
‘ancient' grammar school recorded 1818; rebuilt 1836 and again 1873; enlarged 1895 and modernized 1970, 2003 and 2008; now Patterdale CE Primary School. Infant school at Glenridding by 1860; reading room adjacent by 1897; became Glenridding Public Hall 1917.