Oughterside & Allerby
Township in Aspatria parish, Allerdale below Derwent ward, Cumberland.
2,194 acres [888 ha] before boundary changes 1934, when 139 acres [56 ha] gained from Aspatria & Brayton CP, and 57acres [23 ha] from Hayton & Mealo CP, while smaller acreages were lost to them. Common field, Oughterside Townfield (295 acres [119 ha]) enclosed 1776 and Aspatria West Moor (part of which lay in township) enclosed 1825.
rising from 269 in 1801 to 705 in 1861, reflecting growth of mining village of Prospect; then falling to stand at 586 in 1931 (last census year before boundary changes
manor of Oughterside held by Orfeur family before passing to Lawsons of Brayton and Isel in 18th century. Manor of Allerby acquired by Thomas Porter of Bolton by marriage with heiress of Thomas Lowther of Allerby, probably in 15th century; passed by widow of their descendant Thomas Porter (living 1578) to Eaglesfield family, from whom it was bought by Lamplughs of Dovenby in late 17th century.
farming. Coal mining, recorded by 1681, expanded after building of Maryport & Carlisle railway in 1840s; in decline by 1900. Oughterside Colliery closed 1943 but opencast mining stripped out remaining deposits in 1970s-80s. Red sandstone quarries in late 19th century.
Places of worship:
Primitive Methodist chapel at Prospect built 1860; closed 1980s. Congregationalists met in schoolroom 1851.
Schools and other institutions:
school at Oughterside founded by Sir Wilfred Lawson before 1850; rebuilt as Board school 1875; enlarged 1896; now Oughterside Foundation School. Oughterside and Prospect village hall, at Prospect, built c.1964.