Township in Morland parish, West ward, Westmorland.
2,986 acres [1,208 ha], including 1,239 acres [501 ha] of commons, enclosed 1820.
ranging from 234 to 338 in 19th century; declined to range 131 to 189 across 20th century; stood at 164 in 2001.
manor of Newby or Newby Stones passed from de Newby family to Vernons (by earlier 16th century) and by 1558 to Nevinsons; acquired by Lowthers 1722.
predominantly agricultural: noted in later 17th century for ‘excellent corn growing in plenty, wheat especially’ (Thomas Denton). Limestone abundant and coal seam worked for lime-burning in 19th century.
Places of worship:
Wesleyan Methodist chapel built 1853; Primitive Methodist chapel built 1874; both closed and converted to dwellings.
Schools and other institutions: