Township and chapelry in St Bees parish, Allerdale above Derwent ward, Cumberland. CP enlarged to include Wasdale Head 1934; name changed to Wasdale CP 2000.
8,574 acres [3,470 ha], including detached section at Easthwaite (131 acres [53 ha]), transferred to Irton CP 1934. Extensive unenclosed fells (4,994 acres [2,021 ha]) remain common land.
in range 150-200 across 19th and early 20th centuries (peak 211 in 1821); fell to 117 in 1931 (last census year before boundary change).
part of ‘Middleward’ of forest of Copeland, assigned to Joan Fitzwalter 1338 (see Egremont).
hill farming; annual sheep fair in September recorded in 19th century. Medieval iron smelting suggested by names Smithy Beck and Cinderdale Beck.
Places of worship:
chapel of ease at Strands, recorded 1535; current building 17th-century, enlarged 1837.
Schools and other institutions:
schoolhouse built adjoining chapel yard c.1770. Parish school built by Stansfield Rawson (d. 1856) of Wasdale Hall; closed 1935; became village hall (Old School Community Hall).