Ancient parish in Eskdale ward, Cumberland.
parish and township did not quite coincide, parish containing 4,880 acres [1,975 ha]; township 4,984 acres [2,017 ha]. Common moorland totalling 3,300 acres [1,336 ha] in Nether and Upper Denton enclosed 1800.
rising from 245 in 1801 to 354 in 1891; then falling to 318 in 2001.
part of barony of Gilsland (see Brampton). Held by Denton family until 1506 when exchanged with Lord Dacre for Warnell (in Sebergham).
predominantly agricultural. Carrick’s Dairy & Pure Milk Supply Co. Ltd (making butter & cheese) established at Low Row, beside station on Newcastle-Carlisle railway, c.1881. Bakery and laundry added in 1920s to service Carrick’s cafes. Dairy ceased during 1950s, laundry closed 1965 and bakery 1968.
Places of worship:
nothing remains of medieval parish church of Nether Denton, except a sculpture, possibly 12th century. St Cuthbert’s church built on site of ancient church 1868-70. Wesleyan Methodists met in Low Row schoolroom, erected 1850. Separate Wesleyan chapel and Sunday school built 1883; closed.
Schools and other institutions:
school recorded 1818; rebuilt 1874 as Board school at Low Row; closed. Library and reading room at Low Row built by subscription 1894. Taylor Institute, Low Row, built 1916; now village hall.