Township in Kendal parish, Kendal ward, Westmorland. Part of CP, including Oxenholme, transferred to Kendal 1935.
1,155 acres [467 ha] before boundary change; 892 acres [361 ha] thereafter.
204 in 1801; increased to 464 by 1891 as housing grew at Oxenholme. Stood at 690 in 1931 (last census year before boundary change). Population of reduced, largely rural, CP rose from 354 in 1951 to 747 in 2001 as Natland grew as dormitory village from 1960s.
held by Deincourt family from 1170s, from whom it descended with Sizergh to Strickland family (see Helsington); Sir Thomas Strickland and his brother Walter enfranchised the tenants 1669. Reputed manor of Natland held by descendants of Prickett family from later 17th century.
agricultural; itinerant potters with annual pottery fair on Palm Sunday until c.1835. Helmside and Oxenholme village grew as result of opening of Lancaster and Carlisle Railway with station at Oxenholme 1846. Sandstone quarrying on The Helm, 19th-20th century; nursery and garden centre opened 1938; closed 2012.
Places of worship:
chapel recorded 1246; said to be ruinous and unused 1717; rebuilt c.1735; rebuilt again on new site nearby as St Mark’s Church 1825; enlarged 1879; rebuilt again 1909-1910. Mission room at Helmside built 1906; closed 1951.
Schools and other institutions:
school taught in chapel, late 17th century and early 18th. Richard Frankland ran nonconformist academy at Natland 1674 to 1683. School built 1777 and endowed by will of Charles Shippard. New school built 1825; enlarged to accommodate growing population 1879 and again 1909; replaced and relocated 1967 (old school demolished 1969); now St Mark’s CE Primary School. St Mark’s Home for Waifs and Strays built 1884-5; closed 1974 and reopened as holiday centre for deprived children; closed 1994; Appleton Treatment Centre for traumatised children opened in grounds 1995. Reading room at Helmside built 1894; closed 1980s. Natland village hall opened 1956.