Township in Kirkby Stephen parish, East ward, Westmorland .
2,195 acres [888 ha], including 705 acres [285 ha] of unenclosed fell common.
in range 100-140 in first half of 19th century; inflated to 222 in 1871, probably as result of railway construction; stood at c.170 from 1881 to First World War, then declined to stand at 110 in 2001.
held by de Hastings family from 14th to 16th centuries, after which it passed to Whartons. Sold to Robert Lowther 1728 and descended to earls of Lonsdale.
farming; quarrying and lime-burning in 19th century. Lead and coal mining on Nateby Common in 19th century.
Places of worship:
Congregational chapel built 1875; remains in use as Methodist chapel.
Schools and other institutions:
school recorded 1818. Board school for Nateby and Wharton built 1877; closed 1970; then used as village hall until 1990; converted to dwelling.