Chapelry and township in Greystoke parish, Leath ward, Cumberland. Modern CP of Mungrisdale formed 1934 by amalgamation of Mungrisdale, Bowscale, Berrier and Murrah, and Hutton Roof CPs.
6,593 acres [2,668 ha], much of it fell grazings. 500 acres [202 ha] of Mungrisdale commons enclosed 1893; 4,400 acres [1,781 ha] of common remained unenclosed.
rising from 160 in 1801 to peak of 236 in 1921; then slow decline to 122 in 1931 (last census year before boundary change).
held by barons of Greystoke (q.v.).
predominantly hill farming. Blue slate and flagstone quarrying in 19th century. Lead and plumbago mining at Bannerdale mid-19th century; closed 1870. Lime-burning on eastern side of township in 19th century.
Places of worship:
chapel of ease by 16th century; dedication to St Kentigern (or Mungo) thought to have given name to township. Rebuilt 1756; restored 1925.
Schools and other institutions:
public elementary school built 1835; closed 1960. Village hall originated as corrugated iron recreation room, a former mining office, bought from Carrock Mining Co. by Women’s Institute 1920s; rebuilt in stone 2004.