Chapelry and township in Kirkby Thore parish, East ward, Westmorland.
7,957 acres [3,220 ha], including extensive Pennine moorland of Milburn Forest (5,026 acres [2,034 ha]) which remains unenclosed common land. Milburn Fell Pasture (166 acres [67 ha]), enclosed 1857
237 in 1801, rising to peak of 348 in 1841; declining thereafter to 146 in 1981; stood at 171 in 2001.
manor of Milburn held by Patrick, earl of Dunbar early 14th century. Forfeited and granted to branch of Lancaster family, passing by marriage successively to Crackenthorpe (early 15th to mid-16th century), Sandford (mid-16th century to 1723) and Honywood (from 1723) families, until sold by Philip Honywood to earl of Thanet 1780. Manorial rights sold to Corlands Minerals Ltd 1926
farming; quarrying and lime-burning in 19th century; coal and lead mining on Dun Fell and Milburn Forest. Worked by London Lead Co. in 19th century; main lead mine (with crushing mills) at Silverband on slopes of Dun Fell; closed after First World War. Silverband mine re-opened for barytes extraction 1939 to 1966 and 1980 to 1996.
Places of worship:
medieval chapel of ease of St Cuthbert recorded 1227; bellcote added 1894. Wesleyan Methodist chapel built 1834; closed 1988 and converted to dwelling.
Schools and other institutions:
schoolroom built on common; endowed 1790. New school built on village green 1851; now Milburn Primary School. Parish hall opened 1912, providing meeting room, supper room, reading room and library.