CP created 1883 from extra-parochial moorland and detached portions of Banks and Naworth townships in Eskdale ward, Cumberland.
5,155 acres [2,086 ha], comprising following elements: Midgeholme (631 acres [255 ha]), a detached portion of Banks township; Midgeholme and Halton Lee West Fell (720 acres [291 ha]), an area of extra-parochial moorland; Bruthwaite Forest and Tindale Fell (3,803 acres [1,539 ha]), a detached portion of Naworth township.
in range 80-120 in mid-19th century, rising to peak of 557 in 1891; then declining across 20th century, particularly after 1930, to 47 in 1981; stood at 67 in 2001.
Tindale Fell given by Adam de Tindale to Hexham Priory, passing at Dissolution to barons of Gilsland, with which it descended thereafter
moorland grazing; extractive industries 19th and early 20th centuries, linked by tramways to Brampton & Hartleyburn Railway. Coalmines: colliery at Midgeholme recorded 1628; large-scale mining at from 1820s to later 19th century; Venture Drift (Howgill Colliery) reopened 1919 to 1934; several pits at Midgeholme reopened 1920s to 1953. Coke ovens at Midgeholme in later 19th and early 20th century. Quarries and lime works at Forest Head 19th century. Tindale zinc spelter works, in operation 1845-95; reopened for extraction of zinc residues 1928-31.
Places of worship:
Anglican services held in schoolroom, late 19th century. Primitive Methodist chapel (near Clesketts) opened 1870 (replacing tent chapel, established 1867); closed and sold 1932.
Schools and other institutions:
school at Midgeholme built 1885; transferred to Northumberland County Council 1925, becoming Hartleyburn First School; closed 1976. Reading room, recorded 1899 and 1946.