Meathop & Ulpha
Township in Beetham parish, Kendal ward, Westmorland.
1,991 acres [806 ha], growing to 3,147 acres [1,274 ha] after reclamation of marshes on Kent estuary in later 19th century.
in range 80-90 across first half of 19th century. Inflated by presence of isolation hospital, reaching peak of 328 in 1921; then declining to 143 by 2001.
part of manor of Witherslack (q.v.).
agriculture; small-scale quarrying and lime-burning in 19th century; peat-digging on Foulshaw, Meathop and Ulpha Mosses; tourism (caravan parks) from later 20th century.
Places of worship:
Schools and other institutions:
Westmorland Consumption Sanatorium (isolation hospital) at Meathop opened 1891; closed 1991; converted to private apartments.