Township in Kirkby Lonsdale parish, Lonsdale ward, Westmorland.
3,524 acres [1,426 ha], including 1,135 acres [459 ha] of commons, enclosed 1848.
in range 200-300 for most of 19th century with surge to 325 in 1891 associated with construction of Thirlmere aqueduct; declining across 20th century to 140 in 1981; stood at 165 in 2001.
manor of Lupton had been divided by c.1200; seems to have been consolidated in hands of Redmans of Levens from 14th to 16th centuries. Held by Sir Richard Hutton of Goldsborough 1639; sold to Sir Christopher Musgrave of Edenhall 1681; acquired by Lowthers in early 19th century.
predominantly agricultural; small-scale quarrying and lime-burning mid-19th century.
Places of worship:
church of All Saints built 1868.
Schools and other institutions:
school shared with Hutton Roof (q.v.) from 1773. Lupton School built 1871; closed 1980.