Township in Heversham parish, Kendal ward, Westmorland.
3,517 acres [1,423 ha] including 103 acres [42 ha] in small detached portions; 1,751 acres [709 ha] of commons, largely mossland and marsh in Lyth Valley, enclosed 1815.
rising from 442 in 1801 to 993 in 1841; then standing at around 950 for remainder of 19th century; declined to 708 in 1911; recovered to 844 by 1951; then rising from 1970s to stand at 1,007 in 2001.
manor of Over Levens, including Levens Hall, held from 12th century by de Redman family, who sold it 1562 to Alan Bellingham; purchased 1688 by Colonel James Grahme from trustees of Alan Bellingham (d. 1690). Passed by marriage to Howard family and on marriage of Hon. Frances Howard to Richard Bagot 1783 to Bagots, in which family it descended to present. Levens Hall rebuilt by Bellinghams in late 16th century; formal gardens with famed topiary laid out for James Grahme 1692-7. Manor of Nether Levens was held by de Levens family from 12th century; sold to Preston family before 1452, and to Edward Wilson of Dallam Tower 1694.
predominantly agricultural; peat cutting on Lyth Valley mosses; tourism (notably Levens Hall) from 20th century.
Places of worship:
chapel of St John the Evangelist built 1826-8; spire added 1831. Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Beathwaite Green, converted from house 1795; replaced by new chapel 1892; still in use.
Schools and other institutions:
girls’ school recorded 1810 and boys’ school c.1820. New boys’ school built 1824; closed 1907 when boys, infants and girls united on site of current Levens CE Primary School, part of which was original girls’ school. Village Institute (former barn) bought by public subscription 1902 in celebration of coronation of Edward VII.