Langrigg and Mealrigg
Township in Bromfield parish, Allerdale below Derwent ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Bromfield CP 1934.
2,138 acres [865 ha], including part of Bromfield Common (enclosed 1825).
rising from c.200 in early 19th century to peak of 324 in 1861, then falling back to 215 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available).
manor of Langrigg came to Osmotherley or Osmunderley family on marriage of Agnes de Langrigg to Ranulph de Osmunderlaw c.1290. Descended through male line until Cuthbert Osmotherley sold it 1735 to his son-in-law Thomas Barwis, who rebuilt Langrigg Hall. His descendants sold manor and Hall to Joseph Bowerbank of Cockermouth 1876.
predominantly agricultural; tile-making in 19th century; windmill at Langrigg (early 19th century).
Places of worship:
Schools and other institutions:
infant school (by 1867), built by Barwis family of Langrigg Hall (now private house).