Ancient parish in Allerdale above Derwent ward, Cumberland, embracing townships of Lamplugh, Kelton, Murton and Winder. CP enlarged by absorbing Salter and Eskett CP 1934.
6,343 acres [2,567 ha], divided between constituent townships thus: Lamplugh: 2,562 acres [1,037 ha]; Kelton: 1,897 acres [768 ha]; Murton: 1,066 acres [431 ha]; and Winder: 816 acres [330 ha]. Lamplugh commons (1,455 acres [589 ha]) enclosed 1862.
rising from 535 in 1801 to peak at 1,261 in 1881; then declined to 1,033 in 1921 before marked drop across 1920s, attributed to closure of mines and quarries; stood at 731 in 1931 (last census year before boundary change).
manor of Lamplugh held of lords of Workington by Lamplugh family from 12th century until sold 1919. Manor of Murton held directly of lords of Egremont barony by Murton family before passing to Lamplugh family in 14th century. Manor of Kelton seems to have descended with Harrington (q.v.) in later medieval centuries, being granted c.1550 to Christopher Morys or Moorhouse. Substantial estates in parish included Stockhow, held by Patrickson family in 16th and 17th centuries, and Red How and Streetgate, an estate accumulated by Dickinson family from 17th century.
farming; quarrying, lime-burning and iron mining. Extensive iron mines in Murton and on Kelton Fell from 1850s with major expansion from 1869; served by Rowrah and Kelton Fell mineral railway, opened 1877. Kelton Fell mine closed 1913 and most other mines in 1920s. Iron forge (making spades, shovels and edge tools) at Lanefoot, mid-19th century, on site of Walk Mill (i.e. fulling mill), recording earlier woollen textile industry
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Michael; restored 1658 and 1771; rebuilt on same site 1870. Mission church at Kirkland built 1886; still in use. Primitive Methodist chapel at Kirkland by 1898; closed.
Schools and other institutions:
school, taught by curate and endowed by Richard Briscoe 1730s or 1747. Schoolhouse near High Mill Gill Head replaced by National school (Lamplugh Parochial School) at Murton, built 1868; closed 1951; converted to dwelling. Lamplugh & Kelton Board School at Kirkland built 1879; now Lamplugh CE Primary School. Reading room at Lamplugh Cross hosted meetings of Lamplugh Friendly Society established 1788 (second oldest in country). Women’s Institute Hall built 1928; became Lamplugh Village Hall 2009.