Ancient parish in Cumberland ward, Cumberland, comprising townships of Great Bampton, Little Bampton and Oughterby (which included hamlet of Studholme).
3,733 acres [1,511 ha], divided between constituent townships thus: Great Bampton: 1,367 acres [553 ha]; Little Bampton: 1,357 acres [549 ha]; Oughterby: 1,008 acres [408 ha], of which Studholme formed detached portion of 262 acres [106 ha]. Commons at Borrow Moor, Midmoss Close, Westmoss Close and High Moor, totalling 200 acres [81 ha], enclosed 1775.
estimated at 255 in 1688; rising from 456 in 1801 to peak of 546 in 1851, then declining steadily to 348 in 1961; rising again to stand at 471 in 2001.
part of barony of Burgh. Held by Hildred de Carlisle in 12th century; partitioned between heirs after his death and remained in divided lordship. Manor of Little Bampton sold 1582 by Thomas Brisby to John Southaik and Richard Tolson who sold it to John Dalston 1586; he sold it to the tenants.
agricultural: windmill recorded in name Windmill House; market gardening in 20th century.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Peter; restored 1871-2 and 1882.
Schools and other institutions:
school taught in church 1703. Three schools by 1847: by church, at Ploughlands and at Oughterby. Replaced by St Peter’s National School at Longrigg Bridge, in centre of parish between the villages, built 1876 with addition 1897. In turn replaced by modern building on edge of village, now Kirkbampton CE Primary School. Reading room in Laurel Cottage from c.1920; replaced by village hall (ex-army hut) c.1930; condemned as dangerous 1990s; rebuilt on new site 2001.