Kirkandrews Middle Quarter
Township in Kirkandrews-on-Esk parish, Eskdale ward, Cumberland. Combined with Kirkandrews Moat and Kirkandrews Nether to form Kirkandrews CP 1934.
4,312 acres [1,745 ha].
rising from 573 in 1801 to peak of 624 in 1821; then falling steadily to stand at 255 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available).
see Kirkandrews Moat.
predominantly agricultural; free stone quarry at Glinger Burn.
Places of worship:
medieval church of St Andrew (perhaps originally chapel of ease to Arthuret); in ruins by 1606. Modern parish founded 1632; new church built 1637; repaired 1685; then rebuilt 1775 by Dr Robert Graham of Netherby; restored 1892-3 and 1993.
Schools and other institutions:
schoolmaster at Bush Head by 1847; Rhodds school built 1871; closed 1931. Small almshouse for aged families erected by Sir James Graham by 1847.