Extra-parochial place in Eskdale ward, Cumberland. Kingmoor CP was enlarged to include Cargo township (see Stanwix) but lost Kingstown area to Carlisle in 1951.
1,169 acres [473 ha] before boundary changes.
upward trend across 19th and early 20th century, from 103 in 1801 to 1,026 in 1931 (last census year before major boundary changes), as Kingstown grew from small hamlet as result of ribbon development along A7 north of Carlisle.
as name indicates, Kingmoor was moorland vested in Crown, over which citizens of Carlisle had common rights. From 1682 city corporation leased out sections of moor, creating new holdings.
Carlisle burgesses held guild races on moorland near Kingstown until 19th century. By mid-19th century several beer sellers and inns on main road north from Carlisle at Kingstown and Greymoor Hill. Brick-making well established by 19th century: in 1901 main companies were Kingmoor Brick & Tile Co. and Kingstown Brickworks. Arrival of railway and expansion of Carlisle transformed the area: marshalling yards covered extensive acreages alongside railway; Kingmoor Depot for engine maintenance opened 1874; closed 1968. Extensive light industry at Kingstown Industrial Estate late 20th century.
Places of worship:
allocated to Houghton for ecclesiastical purposes 1841. Services held in school at Kingstown 1901. St Peter’s church, Kingmoor, built early 20th century.
Schools and other institutions:
infant school at Greymoor Hill by 1860s. National school at Kingstown enlarged 1898; its successors, Kingmoor Infant and Junior Schools, opened on new site 1969. James Rennie Special School also had been established at Kingstown by 1980s. Stanwix Cemetery, which opened 1887, lay in Kingmoor.