Township in Kirkby Stephen parish, East ward, Westmorland.
4,533 acres [1,835 ha], including extensive moorland commons regulated under Winton and Kaber Common Regulation Award 1915.
rising from 135 in 1801 to 268 in 1861, during later stages of building of South Durham & Lancashire Union Railway. Fell back to fluctuate between 136 and 200 from 1871 to 1961 but declined thereafter, falling to 89 in 2001
manor of Kaber held by Kabergh family until mid-14th century when it was acquired by Fulthorpe family, in which it descended until passing by marriage to Wandesfords of Kirklington (Yorks.) before 1558. George Wandesford sold it 1604 to Robert Wadeson of Yafforth (Yorks.), whose son sold it to the tenants 1618.
hill farming; cattle fair held in February since 1883. Coal pits on Kaber Fell.
Places of worship:
Primitive Methodist chapel built 1859; enlarged 1875; rebuilt 1891; closed 2004 and converted to holiday accommodation.
Schools and other institutions:
school endowed by Thomas Waller 1689; rebuilt 1862; enlarged 1880; closed c.1988; now used as village hall.