Township in Greystoke parish, Leath ward, Cumberland, which included villages of Penruddock and Troutbeck. Combined with Hutton John to form Hutton CP 1934.
4,349 acres [1,760 ha] before acquiring 133-acre [54-ha] detached portion of Hutton John CP at Lacet, 1884. Common land totalling c.3,500 acres [1,416 ha], and open field in Penruddock, enclosed 1817.
rising from 233 in 1801 to peak of 415 in 1871; then falling back to stand at 346 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available).
part of barony of Greystoke (q.v.).
predominantly agricultural. Several inns along Penrith-Keswick road, turnpiked 1762. Livestock auction mart established in 1880s at Troutbeck Station on Cockermouth, Keswick & Penrith Railway (opened 1865). Stock sales for cattle, sheep and pigs held fortnightly; closed 1991.
Places of worship:
Presbyterian chapel at Penruddock erected 1712; rebuilt 1789; closed 2011. Anglican mission church of All Saints, Penruddock, built 1902. Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Beckses built 1840. Troutbeck station waiting room used for religious purposes by St Kentigern’s church, Mungrisdale, by agreement with railway company.
Schools and other institutions:
school established 1756 by Andrew Hudleston of Hutton John; rebuilt 1872; now Penruddock Primary School. Penruddock and District Public Room built as reading room 1905; now used as village hall.