Township in Greystoke parish, Leath ward, Cumberland. Combined with Hutton Soil to form Hutton CP 1934.
690 acres [279 ha], including detached portion of 133 acres [54 ha] at Lacet.
in range 20-50 across 19th and early 20th century (peak 50 in 1891); stood at 22 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available).
manor of Hutton John held of Greystoke barony by Hutton family from 13th century until death of Thomas Hutton c.1628, when it passed to his sister Mary, who married 1564 Andrew Hudleston of Farington (Lancs.), a younger son of Hudlestons of Millom. Their descendants sold manor to duke of Norfolk (lord of Greystoke barony), 1787 but retained demesnes.
predominantly agricultural; some lime-burning in 19th century.
Places of worship:
Schools and other institutions: