Hutton in the Forest
Ancient parish in Leath ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Skelton CP 1934.
2,462 acres [996 ha], divided between two townships: Hutton-in-the-Forest (1,753 acres [709 ha]) and Thomas Close (709 acres [287 ha]). Common land enclosed under Inglewood Forest enclosure award 1819.
estimated at 285 in 1688; rising from 200 in 1801 to peak of 285 in 1871, then falling to 204 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available).
manor of Hutton-in-the-Forest held by Hutton family, hereditary foresters of Plumpton Hay, from 12th century until 1606, when sold by Lancelot Hutton to Sir Richard Fletcher of Cockermouth, whose descendants, Fletcher-Vane family (latterly Barons Inglewood) continue to be main landowners.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St James; rebuilt 1714; restored 1867-8. Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Hutton End built 1841; enlarged 1885; closed by 1980.
Schools and other institutions:
Hutton Marr school founded by Thomas Fletcher 1715; moved to Hutton End Wesleyan chapel 1909; closed 1985. School at Thomas Close recorded 1860. Former Methodist chapel at Hutton End now used as village hall.