Township in Burton-in-Kendal parish, Lonsdale ward, Westmorland.
1,648 acres [667 ha]. Commons enclosed under Dalton, Burton and Holme enclosure award 1815.
steadily rising across earlier 19th century from 226 in 1801 to 1,154 in 1851, including considerable numbers of Irish migrants. Dropped back, then stable in range 700-800 across later 19th century, before declining to 627 by 1961. Renewed growth in later 20th century, to stand at 1,167 by 2001.
manor of Holme held by Thomas son of Gospatrick, ancestor of Curwens of Workington, c.1200. Descended in Curwen family to late 16th century. Acquired by Prestons of Preston Patrick, who sold it to Francis Charteris of Hornby Castle 1717. Later sold to Wilsons of Dallam Tower.
farming; industry important from late 18th century. Flax mill at Holme Mills, south of village, built by Charles Parker and John Waithman by 1790, resulting in creation of industrial colony there. No longer working by 1860; became coconut and jute matting factory under Edward Shepherd and Sons (1864-1916) and William Goodacre (1916-1974); closed 1975; let as industrial units. Lancaster canal, with wharf at Holme, opened 1819. Second flax mill on canal side in village, recorded 1857; had closed by 1896. Westmorland Cooperage and Saw Mills, making boxes, packing cases and small casks; relocated to Glasson Dock (Lancs.) 1915. Small-scale limestone quarries on Holme Park Fell, 19th century. Large limestone quarry, Holme Park Quarry, open by 1920s; still in operation.
Places of worship:
Holy Trinity Church built 1839. Wesleyan Methodist chapel built 1833; replaced by new Methodist chapel 1924; closed c.2010 and converted to housing. Roman Catholic chapel at Sheernest 1848; sold c.1950 and became housing.
Schools and other institutions:
National school built by subscription 1840; closed 1911 (now Holme Parish Hall); replaced by new school on different site 1911; now Holme Community School. Working Men’s Institute (now Holme Social Club) established 1875.
Submitted by Rob David