Township in Heversham ancient parish, Kendal ward, Westmorland. Included Milnthorpe (q.v.) which became separate CP 1896.
2,297 acres [930 ha] before loss of Milnthorpe in 1896; 1,582 acres [640 ha] thereafter. Commons in Heversham and Milnthorpe (547 acres [221 ha]) enclosed 1815.
joint population of Heversham and Milnthorpe rose from 968 in 1801 to 1,545 in 1881, majority living in Milnthorpe. In 1891 separate figure for Heversham was 356, rising to 741 in 1981, before falling slightly to 647 by 2001.
one-third of manor of Heversham granted to St Mary’s Abbey, York, early 12th century; granted after Dissolution to Richard Bouskill, whose grandson sold it to Edward Wilson of Levens 1614. Remaining two-thirds given to Agnes, daughter of William de Lancaster on her marriage to Alexander de Wyndesor c.1260; sold successively to Neville family 1398; to Thomas Bradley of Arnside c.1577, and to James Bellingham of Levens 1597. Since 17th century lordship held jointly by owners of Levens Hall and Dallam estates.
predominantly agricultural. Places of worship: medieval parish church of St Peter; roof and much of interior destroyed by fire 1601; restored (and new tower built) 1868-70.
Schools and other institutions:
Heversham Grammar School founded before 1619 by Edward Wilson. Originally located on Heversham Head above church; relocated to present building in village c.1870; now part of Dallam School, Milnthorpe, established 1984. School established in churchyard 1839 (in building now church hall); moved to new premises in Leasgill 1891; now Heversham St Peter’s CE Primary School. Girls’ boarding school in Leasgill Cottage, later 19th century. The Athenaeum in Leasgill established as community centre and reading room by Argles family, 1870.