Ancient parish in Eskdale ward, Cumberland, embracing townships of Hayton, Little Corby, Fenton & Faugh and Talkin, last of which was considered part of Brampton parish in 17th century and earlier.
7,845 acres [3,175 ha], divided between constituent townships thus: Hayton: 2,564 acres [1,038 ha]; Little Corby: 359 acres [145 ha]; Fenton & Faugh: 2,409 acres [975 ha]; Talkin: 2,513 acres [1,017 ha]. Common land at Hayton Low Common (1,053 acres [426 ha]) enclosed 1704; Hayton High Common (2,125 acres [860 ha]) stinted 1704 and subsequently divided; further common land at Hayton (200 acres [81 ha]) enclosed 1814; Talkin Fell (1,460 acres [591 ha]) enclosed 1854.
estimated at 370 in 1688; parish population rose from 1,015 in 1801 to peak of 1,604 in 1831, then declined to low point of 1,068 in 1911, rising again in later 20th century to stand at 2,180 in 2001.
manors of Hayton and Talkin were part of barony of Gilsland with which they descended (see Brampton). Little Corby was held by Howards of Corby Castle (see Wetheral). Graham family of Edmond Castle (built late 18th century; extended 1820s and 1840s) were resident landowners and dominant local family in 19th century.
farming (noted in later 17th century for rye grown on its sandy soils); coal mining on Talkin Fell (Blacksike Colliery: first shaft sunk 1820-1; disused 1884); quarrying in 19th century; tile-making in Little Corby at Toppin Castle (from 1833 to 1901) and near Allan Grove (from 1843 to 1895). Woollen manufacture (tweed, rugs, blankets etc) at Hardbank mill, established 1823; closed c.188
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Mary Magdalene; rebuilt 1780; aisle and vault added 1793; chancel rebuilt 1842. Anglican chapel of ease at Talkin built by Thomas Henry Graham of Edmund Castle 1842. Faugh school used as mission room in 1901. Wesleyan Methodist chapels at Corby Hill (built 1852; rebuilt 1894; still in use), Fenton (built 1850; closed) and Talkin (built 1870; closed 1959; converted to dwelling).
Schools and other institutions:
school near Talkin endowed by John Milburn 1798; rebuilt 1858 as National school; closed and converted to dwelling. School in Hayton, funded by Graham family, built 1818; enlarged 1853; rebuilt by T. H. Graham 1871; now Hayton CE Primary School. School at Faugh by 1861; closed c.1933. Reading rooms at Hayton (established by T. H. Graham 1856; replaced by new building 1925; extended 2011), Talkin (built 1898) and Fenton. Parish workhouse at Acres, near Hayton village, built 1826.