Ancient parish in Allerdale above Derwent ward, Cumberland, formerly divided into two townships, Wilton and Haile.
2,672 acres [1,081 ha], including common land on Haile Moor (900 acres [364 ha]), enclosed 1814.
in range 240-300 for most of 19th and early 20th centuries, reaching peak of 330 in 1851. Fell in later 20th century to low point of 155 in 1971; then rose to stand at 237 in 2001.
manor of Haile (one of group in Copeland barony of which lords of Gilsland held intermediate lordship) held 1295 by Agnes (who married William de Ponsonby) and Constance, daughters and heiresses of Alexander de Haile. Divided between their descendants in 14th century but reunited in hands of Ponsonby family by later 16th century; Haile Hall (present building rebuilt by Ponsonbys in late 16th century) remained their seat in early 21st century. Hamlet of Wilton remained in hands of lords of Copeland barony.
farming; iron ore mining in mid-20th century (Haile Moor mine: shaft sunk 1939; mine active from 1941; closed 1973); afforestation in 20th century.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church (dedication unknown); rebuilt in 18th century; restored 1882-3
Schools and other institutions:
Haile and Wilton National School built 1879; closed 1955; building became village hall 197