Township in Brigham parish, Allerdale above Derwent ward, Cumberland.
1,646 acres [666 ha] including 500 acres [202 ha] of common moor, enclosed 1826.
rising from 455 in 1801 to peak of 758 by 1861; dropped back from 690 in 1881 to 490 in 1901 as result of closure of coal mines. Stood at 508 in 2001.
one of the Five Towns in honour of Cockermouth (q.v.); ownership divided between several free tenants by 16th century.
farming and coal mining. Mining recorded by 1720s; five collieries by mid-19th century. In decline by 1880s: Melgramfitz Pit closed 1886. Linen thread manufacture at Oldfield Mill (steam-powered flax mill) in early/mid-19th century.
Places of worship:
Quaker meeting house built 1742; closed 1871. Wesleyan Methodist chapel built 1833; closed later 20th century and converted to dwelling.
Schools and other institutions:
voluntary school built c.1838; enlarged c.1900; closed c.1971. Village hall (Joseph Harris Memorial Hall) built later 19th century. Public garden (commemorating Queen Elizabeth’s silver jubilee) opened 1977.