Township in Addingham parish, Leath ward, Cumberland. CP enlarged by absorbing Gamblesby CP 1934.
1,581 acres [640 ha], excluding Glassonby Fell (a detached portion of 706 acres [286 ha] of rough fell land) added to Gamblesby CP 1888. Glassonby Fell, Viol Moor and Maughanby Common, totalling 1,720 acres [696 ha], enclosed 1867.
in range 145-165 across 19th and early 20th centuries; stood at 164 in 1931 (last census year before boundary change). Population of enlarged CP was 314 in 2001.
Glassonby and Gamblesby held jointly by descendants of Hildred of Carlisle from 12th century, passed to Sir Christopher Seton, on whose execution in 1306 they were forfeited to Crown. Glassonby then came to Dacres, whose successors sold it 1716 to Sir Christopher Musgrave of Edenhall, in whose family it remained in 19th century.
predominantly agricultural. Quarrying in 19th century. Glassonby Beck Mill became paper mill (initially making pulp for Kirkoswald paper mill; later mill board and paper) from c.1860; closed by 1911.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of Addingham thought to have been lost in River Eden; existing St Michael’s church dates from 16th century (chancel built 1512); restored 1786 and 1898. Wesleyan Methodist chapel built 1839; rebuilt on new site 1869; closed 2011.
Schools and other institutions:
free school at Maughanby endowed by vicar, Edward Mayplett, 1634; rebuilt 1868 on new site with schoolhouse; closed and converted to dwellings. Village hall built c.1930; closed c.2000.