Parish (formerly chapelry) and township in Allerdale below Derwent Ward, Cumberland.
1,651 acres (668 ha). Flimby and Seaton Commons (1,000 acres [405 ha]) enclosed 1826.
estimated at 350 in 1688; rising steadily from 273 in 1801 to peak at 2,498 in 1921; then gradual decline to 1,763 in 1991.
granted to Holme Cultram Abbey in 12th century. After Dissolution granted to Thomas Dalston, from whom it was purchased by John Blennerhassett 1546. Remained in Blennerhassett family until 1772, when sold to Sir James Lowther.
collieries, saltpans (said to be recently built) and sea fishing recorded 1688. Iron-making: blast furnace in 18th century (c.1715; short-lived). In 19th and 20th centuries major collieries were at Risehow (closed 1966), Gillhead (sunk 1867; closed 1959), and Flimby Colliery (Robin Hood and Watergate pits; closed 1909). Coke ovens at Risehow and brickworks at Gillhead. Industrial estate (including concrete works) on former Risehow colliery site.
Places of worship:
chapel of ease to Camerton ancient parish, recorded from 12th century; burials took place at Camerton until 1797. Church of St Nicholas rebuilt on site of earlier chapel 1794, restored and enlarged 1862. Wesleyan Methodist chapel built 1858; replaced 1875 by new chapel at Rye Hill which closed c.1970. Primitive Methodist chapel built 1862; replaced by new Westfield chapel, West Lane, 1929; still in use.
Schools and other institutions:
two unendowed schools recorded 1818. Board schools built at Rye Hill 1876; now Flimby Primary School. Ladies’ boarding school, run by Miss Wilson, at Flimby Lodge by 1860; building bought by Cockermouth Poor Law Union 1886 and used as workhouse school and vagrancy ward; recorded as a boys’ home 1938; derelict by 1977. Working Men’s Reading Room and Public Hall built 1873.